Friday, December 2, 2011

"Old School"




Growing up in the 21st century, I've been surrounded by sleek, modern and advanced cars. The posters in my bedroom are all of recent 997 Porsches and newer BMW's. New is the only way I've known so far. But over the last year or so, I've come into touch with more classic rides. I believe that older cars of previous generations had something special about them. There was an aesthetic substance to them which you can't really quantify. New cars are jammed full with new technologies making them faster, stronger, safer and "better" than whatever came before. Apart from the safety part, which I have no issues with since I don't want my knees to be a crumple zone, do these "better" technologies really mean better? I'm going to argue that they do not entirely. Of course, using launch control is very impressive, showing all you're friends how quickly a computer can get you off the line. But wouldn't you have a greater sense of satisfaction in doing it yourself? And what about this ongoing horsepower war? When will it end? I have to utmost respect for those constantly pushing the boundaries of what an engineering team can get out of an engine, look at Porsche's flat six, or Ferrari's tiny V8's. They continuously push the envelope, achieving marvels only certain car companies could dream of doing. Other car manufacturers use force induction to get massive amounts of horsepower from smaller capacity engines. But these new engines and cars are quieter, sound generators are becoming an ever-present part of new cars. Baffles in exhaust open and close depending upon your preference. Why can't they be open all the time? Again, I'm not going to say these new cars and technologies are bad, but sometimes simpler is better. There is a raw, mechanical feeling that is lacking in these new models. There is such a visceral component of older super cars. If you haven't heard the engine note of a Mclaren F1 at full chat, I beg of you to search Youtube immediately.Whenever I go to Lime Rock Park, I see all these beautiful new super cars and I really do mean beautiful. But then you see the occasional '72 Carrera RS, or the original e30 M3 with ///M livery and I am just a loss for words. They seem so much more special and unique. Cars of this nature seem to form relationships with those who drive them. You really do become "one" with them. Someone who values the art of driving can appreciate this type of relationship. Sitting low and slung, cocooned in a metal shell. With no electronic aids, a manual gearbox and the sound of brutal engine. I believe the folks at Singer Porsche know what I'm on about. Their 911, "Restored-Reimagined-Reborn", is an excellent example of how fantastic old cars can be. They capture this aesthetic substance that I've been banging on about.  Unfortunately, I think this time in automotive history has finally peaked. The last couple years have marked the last of the true breed. Yes, cars will continue to get faster, lap times will continue to drop and economy will go up, but at what cost? With news of increased pressure on fuel economy and emissions, I can't see some of the companies who made their name in motorsport, thrive like they have. Could you imagine the governing body walking through the front doors of Sant'Agata Bolognese and saying by a certain date your cars need to produced over 40 mpg? Ferruccio would roll over in his grave, if he hasn't already. I understand this is the way forward for cars, and I realize people will still buy them. I respect this and I will be forced to take part in it as well, but it doesn't seem right. I just want to be taken to a place where it's me, seat, stick, and a truly great road. Something old school...

No comments:

Post a Comment